If you're using Word for Windows
1. Fonts, Margins & Line Spacing
This section shows you how to set:Font/Point size
Our example uses Arial font and 12pt font size, double line spacing and set up for double-sided printing. The margins will be set to 2.54mm.
Setting the Font/Point Size
- Select any existing text (shortcut Ctrl+A)
- Change the font & point size to those required in your guidelines using the Font & Point size buttons on the Home tab (e.g. Arial, 12pt). I recommend setting the Default font for this document to stop Word from reverting it back again.
Setting the Default Font
- Right click anywhere in your text
- Select Font
- Check the font/style & point size are correct
- Click on the Set as Default button at the bottom
- Select This Document Only, then OK
Setting Line Spacing
- To set your line spacing, select any text that you have already written (use Ctrl+A)
- Right click anywhere on the text, select Paragraph from the shortcut menu
- Select the required Line Spacing e.g. 1.5 or 2), click OK
- On the Layout tab, select Margins
- Your margins should be set to 2.54cm on the left, right, top & bottom of your pages.
Watch this short video on how to do this:
Try it! Download this document: Sample Dissertation Document